Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The One Where I Reflect

How much life changes in one year.

How many times I've had that thought in the past week. Who would have ever thought that in April 2015, I would be sitting in a coffee shop in Korea writing about my life in China.
Being in Korea with Reba has been so, so, so good, and it is an absolute miracle that I was able to come--truly. We've been able to exchange thoughts about being expats and what that looks like in our respective countries, we've been able to remember old memories, and we've been able to make new memories too. She's also inspired me to write down these thoughts. 

Here's what I've been learning: 

1. Joy is a choice. 
     
Every day I have to wake up and choose joy. It is not automatic, and the choice of joy is hard. But, it is a good choice to make. 

2. I'm really glad I'm in Chengdu. 

Even when the sun doesn't shine, even when I crave familiar-tasting sour cream, even when I am up to my eye-balls in school-related things, I am glad. 

3.  Good byes are hard. 

I'm really thankful to be meeting the people I am meeting. I get sad that I can't be around people longer. My head says that it's better to have met these people, but my heart says that doesn't make it any easier. I think I'm still working through this one, and I think I always will. And I think that's okay. 

Happy Easter,
Jessi 


No comments:

Post a Comment