Monday, September 8, 2014

The One Where I Rode the BRT and Something Terrible Happened

Those of you who know me well know that I am pretty fond of a good funny story. Those of you who live in China know that humorous stories are in abundance when one rides public transportation (or, at least, somehow these humorous incidents always seem to find me). Allow me to entertain you with a humorous story from one of my public transportation-riding experiences.

One day, I was traveling with two friends on the BRT to go to someone’s house for dinner. It was around 5:30 pm, which is prime everyone-is-going-home-from-work time. As we kept arriving at stop after stop, more and more people kept getting on the bus, until I felt very similar to how grapes feel while chilling in their bunch.

The person who’s house we were going to told us that the next stop was the one we needed to get off. I felt a swell of panic rise in my throat because we were feet away from the door but many, many, MANY people were blocking our exit, and if I got left behind, my group would never hear the end of it. (I am always terrified of getting left behind on traveling excursions, and somehow I never do, but, you know, it could happen…) Right as I look up from intently memorizing my toenails, I see my traveling group squirming their way through the crowd. Just as the bus came to a sudden halt, I lost my balance and reached behind me to grab the pole for balance.

Only, I missed the pole and grabbed some lady’s pony tail instead.

I couldn’t tell who was more shocked: her or me.

And this is the day that I used someone else’s hair to keep me from falling over on the BRT. Memorable days, my friends. J

No comments:

Post a Comment